Sunday, January 24, 2010

Exclamation points! YEAH! - Part 3



OK, my not-so-in-depth exploration of the exclamation point got a little derailed. I swear it's only half my fault. Friday, I got a little distracted by a few adult beverages and some soul music and yesterday, I was unable to post. On another note, I did discover that there is a slow version of the Ohio Players' "Love Rollercoaster" so at least there's that.  (NOTE: actually, I'm not 100% sure that this was, in fact, the song I heard...again, adult beverages)

So naturally, I saved the best for last. It doesn't get any more excitable than these final two acts, so here goes:




No list regarding the usage of exclamation points would be complete without this Brooklyn dance-punk-funk crew. I have to admit it took me a while to warm up to them. That is, until 2007 when they put out Myth Takes. With that album, they streamlined their sound just enough ditching endless jams in favor of indelible hooks sounding like The Talking Heads having an orgy with Parliament-Funkadelic. Add to that a sweaty live show complete with singer, Nic Offer's awkwardly awesome, Michael Jackson-meets-Napoleon Dynamite dance moves and what you get is a band whose wordless name is downright fitting.




Last, but certainly not least, is Cardiff, Wales 7-piece indie pop band, Los Campesinos! Fittingly, they've got a new album due out this week called, Romance Is Boring. Though a slightly darker effort they still manage to sound like a sugar rush set to music. On my personal favorite track off of Romance..., "Straight In At 101," singer Gareth Campesinos! starts off horny yet snarky calling for things to become "more post-coital and less post-rock" before falling back onto his boyish charm and overthinking his own past heartbreaks. Whether Los Campesinos! are shouting along giddily or shrieking away noisily, they earn the exclamation point at the end of their name.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers