Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jus A Playlist and a Rascal



The first week of 2010 is almost over and done with and I have to admit, it's taking a while to get back into the swing of things. I went to my first show of the year last night as I checked out Julian Casablancas at the Paradise (it was ok) and today I did some record shopping and spent an obscene amount of money...but I do love vinyl especially when my finds include some Queen (News Of The World), Madonna's first album (mainly so I can spin "Everybody" when I DJ), 1000 Homo DJ's (a 12" that's NOT Supernaut, plus I'm a sucker for anything on Wax Trax!), a pretty neat 7" from The Xx (with a pretty sweet b-side), and my favorite find, Neneh Cherry's "Buffalo Stance"!!

Anyway, this past Monday, Mike YoungMC and I did our Best of 2009 night for a surprisingly packed River Gods (well, surprising since it was a Monday night.) Lots of great artists and Passion Pit were played that night. Take a look for yourself:

Weekly Wax, 1/4/10
Just Fine In '09 - Year In Review

Mike YoungMC 8pm - 9pm
Life's A Dream- Built To Spill
Robots- Dan Mangan
Strange Vine- Delta Spirit
Snow Days- Real Estate
Two Weeks- Grizzly Bear
Janglin'- Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
All We Want, Baby, Is Everything- Handsome Furs
So Far Around The Bend- The National
Sweet Disposition- The Temper Trap
I Can See The Pines Are Dancing- A.A. Bondy
Made To Disappear- The Twilight Sad
French Navy- Camera Obscura
Easy- Deer Tick
Now We Can See- The Thermals
Build Voice- Dan Deacon
Lately- Washed Out

DJ Brian L. 9pm - 10pm
When I Grow Up- Fever Ray
Two- The Antlers
Generator 2nd Floor- Freelance Whales
This Tornado Loves You- Neko Case
Call Home- Wild Light
Oh My God- Ida Maria
Young Adult Friction- The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
Graffiti Eyes- stellastarr*
Young Hearts Spark Fire- Japandroids
Do You Remember- The Horrors
Further Complications- Jarvis Cocker
I Wanna Kill- Crocodiles
Exploding Head- A Place To Bury Strangers
Last Dance- The Raveonettes
Dominos- The Big Pink
Farewell To The Fairground- White Lies

Mike Young MC 10pm - 11pm
1901- Phoenix
Home- Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Tightrope- Yeasayer
Percussion Gun- White Rabbits
Silver Trembling Hands- The Flaming Lips
Crystalised- The xx
Daylight- Matt & Kim
Sleepyhead- Passion Pit
Nadine- Fool's Gold
Feel It All Around- Washed Out
Green Knight- Memory Tapes
It's Thunder and It's Lightning- We Were Promised Jetpacks
Idiot Heart- Sunset Rubdown
Closer To Heaven- Pink Mountaintops
Mornings- Portugal. The Man
Om Nashi Me- Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

DJ Brian L. 11pm - 12:15am
Despicable Dogs- Small Black
Daniel- Bat For Lashes
Undisclosed Desires- Muse
Come Back- Depeche Mode
One Day- The Juan MacLean
One More Chance- Bloc Party
New Mind- Pictureplane
My Love Is Better- Annie
Might Like You Better- Amanda Blank
Headlock- Esser
She's Into Black Guys- Bodega Girls
Zero- Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Help I'm Alive- Metric
Hang You From The Heavens- The Dead Weather
I Know What I Am- Band Of Skulls
21st Birthday- The Von Bondies
No You Girls- Franz Ferdinand
Actor Out Of Work- St. Vincent
Die Slow- Health
I Got You Dancing- Lady Sovereign
Wilco (The Song)- Wilco

* Mike YoungMC and I will be doing a Best Of The Decade Night at River Gods. Tentatively scheduled for Monday, February 1st *

 One artist that I was kind of bummed I didn't get to play on Monday night was Dizzee Rascal. Now, I'll openly admit, that I'm not a big fan of hip hop. Aside from some classics from the Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Run-DMC, and Wu-Tang Clan, my music collection leans very much towards indie rock, industrial, New Wave, post punk, punk, goth, pop, and just a touch of metal (usually 80's hair metal with some thrash thrown in for good measure.) The chances of me liking a rapper goes up about 43.5% if said rapper has a British accent. Such is the case with The Streets, Lady Sovereign, and yes, Dizzee Rascal. It's actually a little bit of a mystery to me why Dizzee isn't bigger in the States since he's been known to tour with a live band (at least, as of late) and, after scouring Youtube for live performances, he's been known to cover some pretty cool songs (The Ting Tings' "That's Not My Name" and Rage Against The Machine's "Bulls On Parade.") That said, here are a couple of songs I dug up that only make my obsession with Dizzee Rascal go from slightly manageable to near-looney -- one is a really fun live mashup of his own single, "Stand Up Tall" with some song called "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (I don't know, I guess it was big in the 90's or something....hahaha) done during Jools Holland's New Year's Eve Hootenanny; the other is Dizzee's biggest song, "Fix Up Look Sharp" with not-too-subtle nods to Jay-Z's "99 Problems"...and it's a family-friendly version, too!! Apparently, a sample of Billy Squier's "The Stroke" and Hova are for the children!

Dizzee Rascal, "Stand Up Tall vs. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Live)"

Dizzee Rascal, "Fix Up, Look Sharp vs. 99 Problems (Live Session)"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers