Tuesday, December 21, 2010

New Bright Eyes song!


I know, this post should really be my Top Albums of 2010 especially since I've already gotten through my Top 10 Songs of the year (a.k.a. Mixtape 2010.) But honestly, that Top Albums post is taking up quite some time. I don't want to spoil it, but again, 2010 was a good year for music. That being said, it'll be posted in the next day or two. Promise.

2011 is shaping up to be pretty decent, too. I've already heard some new songs from upcoming releases by post-punk curmudgeons Wire and Gang Of Four, as well as some newer acts looking to break huge like Braids and The Joy Formidable (who I've been obsessed with for a while now) and a very promising stripped-down album from The Decemberists.

Here's one I wasn't expecting to get excited about. I admit, I'm a big Bright Eyes fan. But I'll also admit that their last album, Cassadega was pretty disappointing. Conor's two solo albums were good, but this whole folky thing was getting a bit tiring for me. Sure, it was awesome on I'm Wide Awake, but I was beginning to miss some of his far-reaching ideas where he (and Mogis) would try to be everything at once. If this new song is any indication, Conor is back to giving in to those ambitious ways. The new album, The People's Key is due out in February and, in exchange for an email address, you can grab this song, "Shell Games" below. It doesn't sound like much at first but by the end it blossoms into something more grandiose.




Up next, a comprehensive list of my Top Albums of 2010, with emphasis on comprehensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers