Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Beatification Of The Beat


Every so often I indulge and treat myself to a "Brian Saturday." Usually it happens when I'm hungover. It entails waking up late (today that would be 1:30pm) and going out and doing some record shopping. It's all a way to justify devouring some greasy food - which I did after making some sweet vinyl finds (Cold Cave's Death Comes Close 12", Ringo Deathstarr's Sparkle, and used copies of The Raveonettes' Lust Lust Lust and Xymox's Blind Hearts 12"). All of this was an excuse to spend a lazy night in listening to my new purchases and watching some DVDs. First up was a documentary on Joy Division followed by my umpteenth viewing of 24 Hour Party People. Steve Coogan's portrayal of Tony Wilson is so convincing that I was confused by what the real Tony Wilson (rest his soul) looked like in the Joy Division documentary.

This is my absolute favorite part in 24 Hour Party People.



Obviously, being one myself, that whole line about applauding the DJ is what hits me, but the way he ends it with "Welcome to Manchester" makes me wish I experienced that era firsthand.

Naturally, with all this Factory Records-related stuff I was inspired to put together a mixtape of some of my favorite songs to come from that Manchester label. The main culprits are on here (Joy Division, New Order, Happy Mondays) but so are some lesser-known acts, as well (including LA post punks, Abecedarians.) So as always, listen loud and become immersed.



Factory Music
Note: Every track on this playlist except for "Pulling My Fingers Off" is also up on Spotify - Factory Music [Random Ramblings & Mixtapes]
Tracklist:
1. Joy Division, "Isolation"
2. Abecedarians, "Smiling Monarchs"
3. Section 25, "Looking From A Hilltop (Megamix)"
4. Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, "Electricity"
5. A Certain Ratio, "Shack Up"
6. New Order, "Blue Monday"
7. Electronic, "Get The Message (DNA remix)"
8. Happy Mondays, "Step On"
9. The Wendys, "Pulling My Fingers Off"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers