Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Crushes


I openly admit, I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day. As a matter of fact, I used to spend this dreaded Hallmark holiday blasting nothing but Type O Negative, particularly, their 12-minute opus "Unsuccessfully Coping With The Natural Beauty Of Infidelity" or how it's more commonly known thanks to its sing-along chorus, "I Know You're Fucking Someone Else." Thankfully, it's been a long time since I did that; I've matured ever-so-slightly and in Type O's place, I would instead listen to nothing but Joy Division on this day. But even that tradition was thrown aside today, albeit not by choice. Sure, I would've been content spending the entire day listening Ian Curtis' voice but today was also moving day at work. What I did listen to today, after setting up my computer, was a seemingly continuous stream of Reign Of Terror, the new album from Sleigh Bells which, thanks to The New York Times, you can listen to here.

Needless to say, Reign Of Terror is on the fast-track of becoming one of my new obsessions. And why not- it plays up to my love of digital hardcore, industrial, and noise-pop with its shredding hair metal guitars, machine gun beats, and the airy vocals of Alexis Krauss. It shouldn't come as a big surprise that I have a bit of a crush on Ms. Krauss. As the video for "Comeback Kid" proves, it doesn't even make a difference if she's a brunette or a blonde because either way, I get all weak in the knees when I see her (Wait, did I just quote a song by SWV?! Also, did SWV stand for "Sisters With Voices"?)





Anyway, all this talk about crushes got me thinking that this might be the most appropriate time to pay tribute to some of my favorite swoon-worthy musicians over the years...with a mixtape, of course.




Valentine's Day Crushes
Check this mixtape out on Spotify: Valentine's Day Crushes [Random Ramblings & Mixtapes]

1. St. Vincent, "Cruel": It might have to do with the fact that Annie Clark is an awesome guitarist, but really, it might have more to do with the fact that she's just really dreamy. And based on interviews I've seen with her, she seems like she's a bit awkward which just makes her even more appealing.

2. Lykke Li, "Get Some": The first time I saw Lykke Li live she wore a hoodie about two sizes too big. But when I saw her in support of her awesome album, Wounded Rhymes, she was a completely different person. Quite frankly, she was the hotness. Seriously, I needed a cold shower after the show. "Get Some" now acts as her calling card, as she confidently sings, "I'm your prostitute. You gon' get some" - and the way she sneers it, it could also be a threat.

3. Liz Phair, "Supernova": They say you never forget your first and for me, my first indie crush was Liz Phair. Exile In Guyville was probably the 2nd indie CD I ever bought (the first would be House of GvsB from the criminally underrated Girls Against Boys.) And as unfortunate as it is that her music has really turned to shit, I'll always remember the good times.

4. Elastica, "Connection": Justine Frischmann is the reason that I hated Damon Albarn for so long. Eventually, I got over that. But just look at her...can you really blame me?


5. Lush, "Ladykillers": Miki Berenyi. That is all.


6. Dum Dum Girls, "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out": This band proves to me why girls like bad boys. Dum Dum Girls are like the bad girls in biker movies- dressed in all black, skipping class to hang out in the bathroom smoking cigarettes. Dee Dee is easily my favorite, not only because she's the singer (usually, I go for bass players. See: Melissa Auf Der Maur and Kim Gordon) but also because she's a bit gothy.

For serious, though, this interview makes me love Dee Dee a bit more. Plus their name is influenced by the Vaselines and Iggy Pop.

7. Sleigh Bells, "Comeback Kid": (See above)

8. Curve, "Fait Accompli": Apparently, not only do I have a thing for British women, but also ones that have a bit of a mean streak and are a bit gothy. Toni Halliday fits that description to a tee. She seems like the type that might get a bit rough. Is it odd that I find it crazy sexy when she sings "I've come to crush your bones; I've come to make you feel good"?

 [Note: In yet another instance of Spotify failing me, "Fait Accompli" wasn't available to include. So here is the video. Taking this song's place in the Spotify playlist is another Curve favorite of mine, "Hell Above Water."]





9. Kylie Minogue, "Love At First Sight": Last but most certainly not least, is Kylie. I will admit 2 things about my neverending crush on her. First, "Love At First Sight" might be one of my favorite pop songs ever. Second, I have a Kylie calendar hanging in my bedroom. It's a 2004 calendar.

---Bonus---
For some reason, I had trouble posting this to be included after Lykke Li. As if I needed more reasons to love her, here she is with her band in a pre-show ritual of basically just jumping around hair-a-flailing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers