Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuesday Night Album Stream: Ringo Deathstarr "Mauve"

It's that rare instance where procrastination actually worked in my favor. I'd been putting off posting the August Backtracks mixtape for no reason in particular. And I had every intention of getting that done tonight but just as I was about to sit down and actually begin, I found this stream of Mauve, the brand new album from Austin, Texas' Ringo Deathstarr. I'll admit, I only got into this band in the last two years, and honestly, it had a lot to do with the band name since I do have a thing for clever names (see Japandroids.) But after my first listen to them, I was completely won over. Sure, their influences were clear -- almost an homage to noise-pop touchstones like The Jesus And Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine. What makes them instantly likeable is the plain fact that Ringo Deathstarr writes great songs.

Now a little over a year after their last album, Colour Trip, they're set to return with Mauve due out on September 25th. And going by first impressions, it sounds like Ringo Deathstarr are stepping away from the JAMC and MBV comparisons and coming into their own as shimmering guitar fuzz and hazy vocals swirl together forming sounds that are timely yet timeless in their own right. If ever there was a time to listen loud and become immersed, this would be it.

Hats off to Hype Machine for posting this.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers