Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday Songs


It should come as no shock to anyone to learn that I'm a big Nine Inch Nails fan. Trent Reznor has been my favorite artist since I was in high school. I viewed him as a songwriter whose lyrics I could relate to. As much as I'd like to believe that hearing Pretty Hate Machine for the first time was an eye-opening moment for me it really wasn't until Broken where my obsession with NIN began. That release came at a time when I was listening to a lot of Megadeth attempting to understand whatever conspiracy theories Dave Mustaine snarled about. But hearing and reading the lyrics to songs like "Last" and "Gave Up" woke me up. Naturally, my tastes in music also became awakened. To this day, Pretty Hate Machine (and The Cure's Disintegration) still stand as my favorite albums of all time. It's only fitting that this blog post celebrates Trent Reznor's current musical endeavors.

How to destroy angels_, "Keep it together"
Since ending NIN as a touring entity (he promises to continue recording music under Nine Inch Nails although the only output under that banner since 2009 has been a pretty excellent cover of U2's "Zoo Station"), he has started a new project called How to destroy angels_ which includes his wife, Mariqueen Maandig, long-time collaborator, Atticus Ross, and Rob Sheffiled. This is the first track released off the band's forthcoming An omen_EP due out on 11/13 on Columbia.



Telepathe, "Destroyer (Trent Reznor, Alessandro Cortini, and Atticus Ross remix)"
And to continue with the Reznor Monday theme, this is a remix that he and Atticus Ross did with former NIN member, Alessandro Cortini for Brooklyn electro-pop duo, Telepathe. It will appear as a B-side to Telepathe's "Destroyer" single due out this week (presumably tomorrow, 10/9) on David Sitek's Federal Prism label. As expected, Reznor and cohorts give this song some added industrial muscle as well as some dark undertones just for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers