Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wednesday Night Clouds Of Sound: School of Seven Bells "Put Your Sad Down" + Carousels "POP EP"

As we near the close of 2012 I'll openly admit that I've already started thinking about compiling my year-end best-of lists. It's going to be fairly tough narrowing it down mainly because it was such a great year for music. But alas, it's only November and there's still new stuff coming out. Which brings us to this week's album streams...

School Of Seven Bells - Put Your Sad Down EP (Vagrant)
If I had to choose one of my favorite bands this year, it would have to be School Of Seven Bells. Not only did they put out an album that was in constant rotation (Ghostory) but they're a band that I've gone to see pretty much every time they've come to Boston and each time I've become more enamored by them. So after releasing a 7" of their great cover of Siouxsie & The Banshees' "Kiss Them For Me"  as part of Record Store Day, they follow it up with Put Your Sad Down, another step in SVIIB's musical evolution continuing their move towards dreamy electro-pop. It's a sound that fits them well whether they're keeping things a bit dark ("Secret Days") or diving right into a lush dance-pop groove ("Faded Heart.")



Carousels - POP EP (Deadly People)
I came across the UK's Carousels randomly last year while on one of my endless searches for new music on various blogs. At that time, I found two songs ("Here To Me" and "Carousel") both of which were like blissful waves of shimmering dreampop. On the POP EP, the band turns up the volume and cranks the guitars finding the middle ground of Siamese Dream-era Smashing Pumpkins and Jawbox. It's just the right balance between 90's alt-rock nostalgia and feedback-soaked shoegaze.



As always, listen loud and become immersed. Oh and expect more mixtapes soon. After all, it's the middle of the month and it's almost time for an October Backtracks Mixtape. It's going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers