Monday, February 18, 2013

20 Questions


Remember that scene in High Fidelity when John Cusack explains how to make the perfect mixtape? Touching on, not only the importance of song selection, but also the importance of the mixtape's flow. Well, I nodded along very knowingly during that scene, as if I completely understood. That being said, this mixtape is a fun one. 20 Questions is comprised solely of songs whose titles ask questions. Now, I have to admit, I reached out to a couple of people when thinking of what songs to include since I'm sure I was overlooking some obvious picks. Thankfully, my friends Laura Marie and Jenny came up with some clutch suggestions that were essential.

Now, here's where my music nerd powers kicked in: coming up with the right order of the songs would have been easy. Instead, I put the songs in order by their titles as if it told a story. A simple, age-old story of boy-meets-girl ("Who's That Girl?"), boy's love is unrequited ("Is She Really Going Out With Him?"), boy starts to lose it ("Why Can't I Be You?"), and, of course, boy is completely mental ("Where Is My Mind?")






Links:
http://8tracks.com/djbrianl/20-questions
http://open.spotify.com/user/djbrianl/playlist/01ybgKe1JXsq5IglGsg4O7

20 Questions
Tracklist:
1. How Soon Is Now?- The Smiths *
2. Do You Remember The First Time?- Pulp
3. Who's That Girl?- Robyn
4. Do You Wanna Dance?- The Ramones
5. Do You Realize??- The Flaming Lips *
6. Who Do You Love?- The Jesus And Mary Chain
7. Is She Really Going Out With Him?- Joe Jackson
8. What About Us?- Handsome Furs
9. What Do I Get?- Buzzcocks
10. Don't You Want Me?- The Human League
11. What Have I Done To Deserve This?- Pet Shop Boys w/ Dusty Springfield
12. Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?- Moby **
13. How Does It Feel To Feel?- Ride
14. Why Can't I Be You?- The Cure
15. Are 'Friends' Electric?- Gary Numan/Tubeway Army
16. What Did My Lover Say? (It Always Had To Go This Way)- Wolf Parade
17. Who Was In My Room Last Night?- Butthole Surfers
18. Whatever Happened To My Rock 'N' Roll?- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
19.  Where Have All The Rude Boys Gone?- Ted Leo/Pharmacists
20. Where Is My Mind?- Pixies *

* = Laura Marie pick
** = Jenny pick

So there you have it. As always, listen loud and become immersed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers