Monday, April 29, 2013

Keeping Cool

I have a reputation of never being able to keep my cool whenever I meet musical artists I admire. It almost  always ends up being a somewhat awkward encounter whether I get shy and quiet at the wrong time (Gary Numan) or I end up talking nonstop and saying something dumb (Robert Smith, Corin Tucker, Charli XCX.) But then there's that rare moment when I actually hold it together pretty well. Point being, I met Trent Reznor last night. By some stroke of awesomeness, I ended up being a last-minute opener for How to destroy angels when they played House Of Blues in Boston. And let me just say, I'm not exaggerating when I say "It was AMAZING!" The show itself was pretty mindblowing; the band sounded perfect and the visuals were stunning. But the best part was that Trent was the nicest person ever. He thanked me for being able to DJ last minute. Yet somehow I didn't turn become a total fanboy telling him about how many times I've seen Nine Inch Nails live (that would be 11 times) or how I wrote one of my college entrance essays about "Something I Can Never Have" (it was for NYU and I got accepted.) No, instead I stayed calm, cool, and collected and even got to have a picture taken with him and Atticus Ross.

Oh and my DJ set was pretty great and judging by how many people Tweeted at me, it went over pretty well. The picture above was taken by one of the people that Tweeted at me.

So tonight's late-night mixtape is comprised of artists that I've had the pleasure of meeting regardless of how awkward things got.






Links:
http://8tracks.com/djbrianl/metchoo
http://open.spotify.com/user/djbrianl/playlist/4PxqLmhnVZL7vM2VFLOCnq

Metchoo
Tracklist:
1. How to destroy angels, "Strings and attractors"
2. Nine Inch Nails, "Terrible Lie"
3. Gary Numan, "Metal"
4. Front 242, "Don't Crash"
5. Depeche Mode, "Strangelove"
6. ohGr, "Pore"
7. KMFDM, "Godlike (Doglike mix)"
8. The Cure, "From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea"
9. Pixies, "Here Comes Your Man"
10. Sleater-Kinney, "One More Hour"
11. Charli XCX, "What I Like"

There you have it. A mixtape to cap off what turned into a great weekend. I'm still shocked at how it played out, myself. And don't worry, I'll be talking about it nonstop for at least the next week. As always, listen loud and become immersed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers