Saturday, August 10, 2013

Late Friday Night Sounds


With August already in full-swing and July's Monthly Backtracks Mixtape looming in the not-too-distant-future now seems like a good time to share some songs on the verge of coming out that have already left a mark. Coincidentally today was another dreary Friday where a 3-hour nap took up most of my day which is odd since the last time I shared new sounds it was also a rainy Friday. That's one to think about.

Nine Inch Nails, "Copy Of A"
It's pretty much a well-known fact that I'm a big Nine Inch Nails fan. To say that 2013 has been a big year for me as a fan of both NIN and Trent Reznor is putting it mildly. We already got an album by Reznor's other musical project, How to destroy angels. And even better than that, I got to open for HTDA when they played in Boston and got to meet both Trent and Atticus Ross. So when my birthday came around the announcement that NIN had a new album and tour felt like a personal gift to me. Hesitation Marks (due out in September) is shaping up to be the most anticipated NIN release since With Teeth. "Copy Of A" tops the previously released single, "Came Back Haunted," mostly due to the fact that the song has been the opener for NIN's recent festival appearances and has stunned audiences with its minimal electronics and pounding beats. Its catchy chorus also helps.

** And as of midnight on 8/12/13, the studio version of "Copy Of A" just got posted, so here is an updated version of the song which as it turns out will be the 2nd single off of Hesitation Marks. **



Gary Numan, "I Am Dust"
Another one of my all-time favorite artists, Gary Numan, is poised to release his brand new album entitled Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) in October. I can still remember getting the 45 single for "Cars" when I was a kid. It's one of my prized possessions. In recent years, Gary Numan's output has been darker, sporting a more industrialized sound. Which is to say, I love it. "I Am Dust" is streaked with shadowy synths and razor-sharp guitars, a sound influenced greatly by Nine Inch Nails but with Gary Numan's familiar, strangely seductive vocals.



Factory Floor, "Turn It Up"
This UK trio has been in constant rotation here on Random Ramblings and Mixtapes. Judging by how their music has evolved, it's not a shock that I would fall for Factory Floor. They've moved from dark, Joy Division-indebted post-punk to fractured electronics with an old-school industrial influence. And all that without releasing a full-length. That changes in September when DFA Records puts out the band's long-awaited debut album. "Turn It Up" is practically a slow burner compared to recent singles like the excellent "Fall Back" and the equally awesome "Two Different Ways." That's not to say that "Turn It Up" is any less addictive with its percolating rhythms and ghostly voices.



Cut Copy, "Let Me Show You"
Seeing Cut Copy get bigger with every album is something that makes me a little happy. Mainly because I get to brag about how I saw them when nobody knew who they were back when they opened for Franz Ferdinand. But the honest truth is I love their music. Their latest single, "Let Me Show You" is almost a ballad when compared to their bigger material, however there is a cool house music groove that seeps up from underneath it all. It's almost as if they're trying to do their best Happy Mondays impression.



Psychic Teens, "H#TE"
All it took was reading a review that dropped the "g" word (that word of course, being "goth.") I'm pretty sure the review also compared this Philadelphia trio to Bauhaus which of course made me want to listen to "H#TE" repeatedly. There's plenty of grinding guitars in Psychic Teen's brand of guttural post-punk which makes me really look forward to their forthcoming second album, COME.



So there you have it: another 5 songs worthy of turning things up to 11. Until next time, listen loud and become immersed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers